Thursday, June 2, 2011

Oxidado

When I got home from school today my older brother immediately showed me this news clip.  Following the epidemic of the drug Oxidado (originally in Brazil), the video highlights the dangers of the drug and why it has been brought into focus.

In both videos not only the horrible side effects of this drug are shown, but also its mass availability and why it is receiving attention now.  In the first video (link) at 0:28 the drug is described as so deadly because of how easy it is to get a hold of.  Costing only $1.00, this drug is so threatening because it allows all classes to get hooked and have the financial ability to stay hooked.  But almost more shockingly is the 1st video's clip at 1:20.  The drug Oxi has "been around for almost 2 decades" but is just gaining serious news attention now.  The very deadly drug, most users die within the first year of starting (1:16), is only gaining news attention as it transfers into the upper class.
This reminded me on a much smaller scale of the "big ditch" in Winnetka that we discussed in class.  Even after 30 citizen's deaths, the train tracks were not changed until a very powerful, wealthy man's wife was killed.  After this accident the problem was taken into focus and fixed.
How does society respond differently to the same problem in different classes? Why do problems gain more media attention when they affect upper classes? How does the rate of change and correction differ between the upper and lower class issues?

2 comments:

  1. Tonight, I was telling my brother about how your blog received over 500 hits in a short period of time and when I told him the topic of this post he immediately knew what you were talking about. This drug started off in the Amazon and, as you said, is now transferring to the upper class. To get more research on this drug try searching rust. I remembered you telling me how your findings were mostly in a different language, but this slang word will definitely get you more information in english. I was, to be honest, surprised how you connected this post to our class. I never noticed how similar this topic and the big ditch relate. I think that was a great connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting because I recently talked to a friend of mine, Justin Meyer, who went on vacation to Brazil and had an experience with this drug. He was able to quit within a few weeks and he has not exhibited any long term effects, thankfully. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for most of the addicts in Brazil. I like the connection you drew with the big ditch about how this only became an issue when it started effecting the upper class.

    ReplyDelete