Sunday, May 1, 2011

Junior Theme Expanded

The week after Junior Theme was turned in!  Congratulations everyone- we did it!  But even though my Junior Theme is turned in I still am thinking about my topic outside of class.
This past week I was on my favorite website, PostSecret.  It is a blog to which people anonymously send in their secrets on postcards and they are shared.  The secrets are all different, some are very serious and others are quirky or funny, but the secrets told are all important to the person in a different way.  The secrets posted on the blog are rotated out weekly, but last week I found this very interesting secret that got me thinking about my Junior Theme:
Because I focused my Junior Theme on: Why are eating disorder on the rise, this secret showed me a different focus on my topic.  This secret illustrates a link between eating disorders and feminism.  While my paper did not highlight this link, except slightly in the conclusion, it is an interesting expansion of my topic.  
This secret reminded me of the interview I did with eating disorder therapist, Suzanne Gazzolo.  When I asked about the future of eating disorders she said, "I believe that we still live in a patriarchy that often when things begin to affect men and boys in negative ways than it begins to be taken seriously... I think when it was only a girl problem it just could be ignored in a lot of ways, but it is going to be hard to ignore now".  This is a quote that also looks at eating disorders in terms of feminism and patriarchies.  
These two expanded links to my Junior Theme are really fascinating to me because they are representations that the Junior Theme wasn't just some random paper I wrote, but it allows me to look at a bigger picture idea and link it to my everyday life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment